Monday 21 January 2013

Observational Drawing - Pot Plant

My classes are back in full swing this week.  Hats off to all those who braved the ice and snow to make it to the studio above Henderson Art and Framing in Gaywood.  Every term I like to include a session working from still life, the challenges of 3D and how to translate this on the paper or canvas can teach us so much.  The pastel class on Wednesday will be looking at a large pot plant that I will bring in.  It has been in my front room for the past week and on Sunday I made several drawings myself.  It has the most 'mobile' leaves.  In the dull evening light they tend to close up and during the day they relax and fall more open.  Let's hope they behave in class!




The first drawing was getting to know the subject.  I used charcoal as it is such an immediate material and the class members may enjoy trying it for a change.  Then I tried conte on white cartridge paper and established the difference between the top and underside of the leaves.  Finally I looked at the negative shapes between the leaves.  These can be fascinating in themselves but can also help with accuracy in the composition stage.  I decided to leave this drawing at this stage to demonstrate this concept to the class, but will encourage them then to continue working to a more completed piece of artwork.


Charcoal on cartridge paper.

Conte sticks on cartridge paper.

Pale blue pastel pencil, white conte stick on blue Canson paper.

Making several drawings of a subject is a great way to get to know how to portray it best and is ideal preparation before going on to do a more detailed drawing or painting.  Or even to understand essential components before doing a looser expressive piece of work.  Why not give it a try? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!