Friday 12 July 2013

Ouick Sketches

Last weekend we were in Kendal (Lake District) for a christening - the weather was glorious!  I am now in the habit of carrying a small Moleskine sketchbook with me and a slim pencil case in my day-to-day handbag.  This has definitely helped me increase my 'sketches from life' tally.  Paul and I had a bit of time to ourselves exploring Kendal and, so long as he has something to read, I can manage to settle for brief periods to capture a quick impression.

Bridge over the River Kent, water soluble pencil in small Moleskine

St. Thomas Church, Kendal, Lamy fountain pen in Moleskine

Ruin on the distant hill, pen & wash in A5 sketchbook 

Before setting off home we made a detour to a bookshop in Grange-over-Sands and also took a short stroll along the promenade.  It was bright and sunny and we perched on the wall amongst the flower border so I could snatch half an hour to record the bare bones of the scene before me.

Looking into sun across the saltmarsh, pencil in small Moleskine

View looking in other direction, pencil in small Moleskine

There were sheep grazing on the saltmarsh and it seemed rather a coincidence because just a few weeks ago, in class, we were painting a view across Devil's Dyke and I had focused on how to simplify the grazing sheep by the general shape and letting the shadow indicate the form.  Used the same principle here.  What's that I hear?  You would like to see this painting...

Close up detail of sheep - simple shape & shadow indicate form

Devil's Dyke, Sussex, watercolour

So, if you are out and about this summer take a simple sketchbook and pencil, or maybe even a basic set of watercolour pans and grab those opportunities to record an impression of what you see.  Those insignificant scribbles may just spark an idea for a more considered painting - and the lessons learnt from more considered work will help you with the quick sketch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!