Thursday 22 August 2013

Monochrome Painting in Acrylic

Polystyrene plate as palette for acrylic

Do not adjust your screen - the colour has not malfunctioned - I have been painting using just black, white and a smidgen of yellow ochre for this latest canvas.  There are two exhibitions fast approaching and I am frantically trying to complete work as suitable entries.  This piece was from a photograph I took two years ago on a visit to Narborough Hall, here in Norfolk (www.narboroughhallgardens.com).  The house was open, hosting an exhibition of work by Andy Warhol.  As I wandered round with my family my eye was caught by the gorgeous pattern of light filtering through the greenery outside the window, across the tall backed chair and splashing across the wooden floor.  The photocopy I printed off was originally in colour but I wondered what it would look like in greyscale.  I was inspired and couldn't wait to get cracking.    


Almost ready to paint the best bit...

I started with a diluted wash of black and then with a slightly darker mixture drew the basic composition using a flat hog bristle brush.  I find this approach prevents me from getting too tight and fiddly.  From this point I started with the back of the chair and then outwards, manipulating the tones from mid grey (sometimes warming the mixture a little with ochre) to the darks, which I kept transparent, through to the bright white.  As you can see from the photo above I saved the best bit until last.  Below, you can see how the opaque white shapes of the sunlight on the floor bring this scene to life!

Pattern of Light (Narborough Hall, Norfolk) acrylic on box canvas, 30 x 30cms

The West Norfolk Artists Association exhibition is titled Small Works and this is the third year it has been held.  The venue is the Shakespeare Barn at the King's Lynn Art Centre, an impressive large gallery space with white walls.  Small Works was conceived by Andrew Schumman (a member) who was interested in the rich painted walls of galleries in the past.  His idea was an exhibition where artwork measuring exactly 30 x 30cms would be displayed around the walls all on a midline, and equal distance apart.  Each artist chooses a rich colour to paint a square 60 x 60cms on the wall, within which the work is centred.  This format creates a stunning display and every small artwork is enhanced and becomes greater with a personalised backdrop to show it off.  The overall effect is quite dramatic.

Last year - the WNAA Small Works exhibition

This small painting was started at 4 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon and I became so engrossed that I kept going, until suddenly, it had reached a conclusion and I stopped.  It was 8.30 p.m.  Four and a half hours had passed!  My only problem now is choosing a colour for the painted square to set it off to best advantage.  Below you can see how I am using Farrow and Ball paint charts to try and make a decision.

Almost 'fifty shades of grey'...

Have been back in the studio again today working on something completely different, but I will show you that tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!