Saturday 14 December 2013

A look back at sketching in Rome

Ooops, apologies for the long gap since my last post.  With hindsight I often think, 'oh I could have blogged about that'.  The secret is obviously to post little and often.  Well, that's one New Year Resolution decided!


Sketching at the Trevi Fountain, Rome

At the end of October I had a fantastic 4-day break in Rome.  I had high hopes of all the sketchbook work I would get done - buildings, ruins, cafes, piazzas and fountains...  Well, that was rather ambitious in the end. Paul and I went with two friends and had a brilliant time, Rome certainly exceeded expectations, but there was very little time to pause and paint.  I amassed lots of photos which may come in useful at some point, but admit I am disappointed that I failed in my mission. However, here is my meagre offering...


On the aeroplane...
 

Ruins, but it was the Pino (Pine) tree that attracted my attention


Rapid sketch in Moleskine sketchbook with Edding pen 

We managed to see all the big sights - the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, the Roman Forum, the Coliseum, the stunning National Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, Trevi Fountain and much more.  Lots and lots of walking, but I have never been to a city with so much history in a relatively small area.  It is said that if you toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain it ensures you will return to Rome one day.  We all obliged, but I really would love a return to this amazing city (with a bit more time to actually slow down and get some sketchbook work done).

Tomorrow I will introduce a few more pieces of work done recently and between Christmas and New Year I shall review the Resolutions I made at the beginning of the year - it will be interesting to see how I've done.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!