Saturday 16 May 2015

Sketchbooks Galore!

Sketchbook pages from Social Sketchbook event in The Walks.

The past week and a half has been full of sketchbook work... First was the Social Sketchbook event in The Walks, a lovely large park in King's Lynn. We arranged to meet at the bandstand which had been undergoing some renovation work and as we assembled the protective metal barriers were being removed - what perfect timing! As I arrived early I had already begun to sketch the bandstand. It is not my usual preferred subject matter and with some tricky perspective issues it was one I began to wish I hadn't started. So, as you can see below, I abandoned the idea of any realism and went for a quick pen and wash rendition.

Correct perspective abandoned so I could just enjoy approximate shapes
and a dash of colour. The allium buds were there too, but the horse was the last
 thing I sketched at the previous Social Sketchbook in Stow Bardolph.

The weather was bright but definitely breezy and had most of us seeking more sheltered spots. There was plenty of variety for subjects including the river, ducks, bridge arches over the water, planted areas, wild areas and many different tree species. One big attraction for me was the old town wall. When I walked through the arch to the other side the wind suddenly hit much colder and stronger and I had to admire one member who had bravely set up her seat and been working there since the start!

This was as far as I got sketching the old town wall before the cold set in
but we were due to reassemble anyway...

It is probably just visible in the photo above that the double spread page in the sketchbook had been prepared at home with gesso tinted with acrylic colour. A technique I like to introduce to add variety and texture when working in pencil.

Congratulations to the hardy Social Sketchbookers at the end of a morning in the park! 

My 25 minute final sketch to capture a little of sprouting leaves
and the lumps and bumps at the base of a fascinating tree trunk.

My second sketchbook event was to lead two morning workshop sessions for Freebridge Community Housing. They have a Wellbeing Week for staff and put on a variety of activities. Last year I ran a charcoal drawing workshop and this time I decided to do a Quink Ink Drawing session. I arrived laden with paper; card; small jars of decanted black Quink ink; dip pens, wooden skewers and feather quills for drawing with; covers to protect the tables; water; pots; brushes and masses of natural objects to use for inspiration.

Drawing with Quink ink in handmade simple accordian sketchbooks at
Freebridge Wellbeing Week.

The sessions started with an introduction to Quink ink and a short demonstration on using the various drawing tools and introducing water to allow the ink to bleed and create washes. When the wet ink floats in the water the components disperse into blues, greys and ochres - like magic! After a practice with mark making and trying out the techniques themselves we constructed small scale simple accordian sketchbooks, glued on coloured card for the outer covers and the remainder of the time was spent filling them with delightful sketches based on the natural objects.

Due to the less sophisticated drawing tools and the unpredictable nature of the ink the results were full of character and the accumulation of these drawings was impressive. The participants seemed happy and relaxed, chatting as they worked so I hope the experience was beneficial and contributed positively to Wellbeing Week.

Accumulation of drawings full of character.

So now I am busy with final preparations for the Focus on Flowers workshop at Dobbies Garden Centre and the morning element involves - you guessed - sketchbooks! The afternoon will be time for a longer study using watercolours and coloured pencils.

Just to finish this post I'd like to return to the drawing session in the park. When I did a 'research' trip, prior to making the arrangements, as I wandered round I remember thinking 'why don't I come here more often?' and at the end of the Social Setchbook event many others voiced this thought as well. Spending time in an area, looking, drawing, experiencing sights and sounds over a more intense period of activity is a great way to really get to know a place. Highy recommended. If you find a small parcel of time in the coming weeks, grab that sketchbook and favourite drawing tool and get out in the open, especially as the weather improves...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!