Sunday 20 May 2012

Keep The Camera Handy

Keep the camera handy - you never know when the next trigger for inspiration will happen.  On Friday evening I travelled with my husband, Paul, to Chichester as we had arranged to collect our daughter and ALL her stuff now that she has finished university.  We stopped off at Radisson Blu, the hotel in the middle of Stanstead airport as Paul and two colleagues were viewing the conference facilities for a potential venue for 2014.  As we sat having coffee and a discussion afterwards in the huge airy lounge it happened - a Sky Angel.

Radisson Blu Sky Angels

In the centre of this communal space is a towering column housing the wine bottles.  In the evenings, when wine is requested, it is retrieved by beautiful graceful acrobats - also known as Sky Angels.  The one I witnessed clipped herself to suspended wires and rose effortlessly off the ground.  And guess what - I actually had my camera in my handbag!  Without a moments hesitation I jumped up, requested permission (granted) and with my simple Canon Ixus 120IS snapped away merrily.  The acrobat may just have been warming up or practicing a routine but she obligingly performed some stunning moves high in the air.  Even as I was taking photos I was aware of the reflected light bouncing off the glass that encompessed the space within which the wine tower resides.  This only added to the effect, I feel it adds a layer of intrigue by masking some of the clarity.  Fragments of mental pictures hovered at the edges of my consciousness as I wondered if this unexpected encounter might lead to an interesting series of work.  Only time will tell, but with the Summer Exhibition looming it could be the perfect time to experiment.  Watch this space!  I'll leave you with another tantalising image...

Sky Angel performing

The moral of this post is definitely 'always be prepared' - so keep that camera handy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!