Monday 14 May 2012

Starting a Blog

How do people start a blog? 

I love reading blogs about creative people - artists, textile designers, illustrators, crafters, photographers - but they are usually well established blogs and I never get to see that crucial first post! So, being quite a logical organised person (professionally speaking) I shall set out my aims and hopes for this blog.
Deep breath; here goes...
My aim in this blog is ultimately to chart my journey as an artist as it unfolds.  The ups and downs of living a creative life.  The little seeds of inspiration - where do they start?  Often they pass unoticed and then arrive onto the scene, sometimes fully formed but also sometimes as elusive intuitions that can cause muddled thinking and confusion in the work.  The passage of time, along with reflective thinking, can create new directions.  Or maybe just a diversion.  A mini project which may run alongside the main threads of the artwork generally.

Looking back can help an artist move forward.  Sounds like a contradiction but it has helped me in the past, especially when I have felt 'blocked' or my confidence has dipped.  So, from time to time I will introduce you to a piece of art I have created in the past.

a blast from the past

However the most important thing is going forward.  My two daughters have just finished university and my son finishes his college course next month.  They are all making plans for their futures.  It's time for me to do the same.  I have happily settled into a little niche and need to spread my wings a bit more - get some interesting projects on the go.  The art classes I teach will continue but I must make better use of the time outside of these.  By writing about my hopes and dreams they should encourage me to take positive steps in making things happen. 

studio view through the window 

Finally, my blog title is Creating Art and I plan to show work in progress, plus sketchbooks.  I love the process of making art.  Because of the classes I teach I freely work across a wide spectrum of art materials and with a range of subject matter.  I offer my work, philosophy, hints and tips and reflections to you in future posts.  Please join me on this amazing journey - I would love your company and feedback!

I'll leave you with some more views of my gorgeous studio...

studio in winter
 

interior view

hard at work

                                     







No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!