Friday 17 January 2014

Sketching Pigeons on the Patio (Again)

Pencil sketches of birds on the patio...

I can see birds will feature quite heavily in my sketchbooks this year! I always enjoy seeing them swoop down onto the patio to feed on grains and seeds we put out and get a lot of satisfaction attempting to capture something on paper. One or two are starting to show a little more detail, I think, as I start to get to grips with their shapes and the way the wings fold back around the body.


Note (to right) of all the different birds who visited in that short space of time

In the photo above, the bottom left sketch was a delightful collar dove perched on the 'wave' of the decorative fence, the feathers on the chest were all puffed out. He seemed to be enjoying the morning sun. To the right is a list of all the different species of birds I saw in the short time I was observing through the kitchen window - eight in all! I ought to get the bird books out and find out more about them, maybe take time to do some more detailed colour sketches and familiarize myself with the markings and characteristics.

Have you tried sketching birds as they go about their daily life? Not an easy task - they will keep moving!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!