Saturday 14 June 2014

Drawing in a Museum - Hints & Tips

Travelling light... basic equipment for a few hours sketching

During the past week I have had lots of practise sketching in a museum setting - an activity I always really enjoy. The mixed media class I run takes place in the studio at Henderson Art and Framing in Gaywood, King's Lynn. For a change this term I put a 'field trip' on the programme. The two afternoon sessions took place in Lynn Museum, plus I went prior to these as the displays have been revamped since I last visited. I put myself into the mindset of a newcomer to this activity and jotted down some suggestions to discuss:

  • Walk around - get the feel of the museum and what is displayed.
  • What interests you / catches your eye?
  • 'Warm up' - do some quick small sketches to get comfortable in environment / concentrate the mind / get hand-eye coordination 'on the go'.
  • Move into more concentrated sketching / drawing - what interests you most about subject / object?
  • More than one drawing of object? Same or different view / treatment / media?
  • Make notes alongside sketches? Factual about object / subject or jottings about colour / light etc?
  • Try different media / approaches?
  • Multiple sketches on page? Larger drawing going across gutter / ringbinder? 
  • Try turning sketchbook around for variety of formats - portrait / landscape etc.

Two members of the class busy with their sketchbooks
(yes, they gave me permission to use my photo here)

The two sessions were a great success, although a few members missed the opportunity for one reason or another. None of them had ever actually experienced drawing in a museum before. They settled quickly, generated several drawings each in their books in a variety of media and coped admirably! I was really pleased and hope that they might consider using sketchbooks more often when out and about. I stressed that it wasn't about making pretty pictures, or with a view to getting enough information to create paintings from. It was purely drawing for the enjoyment of studying and recording aspects of an object / subject that appealed. No pressure, so no problem. Try it for yourself, it could lead to whole new avenue to explore...

I shall leave you with some photos of my own efforts, and if you were wondering about the glue stick in the image at the top of this post - it's to attach the receipt to the page and make it an integral part rather than an after thought.

Start with simple shapes like these pots before trying a more complex study
  
Savage's Fairground Ride captured in water soluble pen
 - reminded me of 'Roadrunner' from the cartoon

Back to pencil and a line drawing of the timbers from Seahenge,
 it was the negative spaces between them that caught my eye

Water soluble pencil, and when I had gathered enough information
I moved on, no need to slave over a drawing

Ah, subject matter I love - translated on the page in sepia & black pen on the left,
water soluble pencil on the right 

Turn the sketchbook around for a different format
to better suit the subject... sepia pen and water soluble pencil
for added tone

Finally...

The Central Stump of Seahenge looking very sculptural and set off
with a dark scribble of pencil as a background

Sepia pen for these wooden carvings

Graphite pencil for this handsome beast

Thank you to the staff at Lynn Museum www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk who were very friendly and didn't mind us commandeering chairs and stools as we moved around the space tracking down objects of personal interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!