Tuesday 24 June 2014

When Nothing is Working... Try Something New!

A new approach...

Last weekend was earmarked for Art with a capital A. With the West Norfolk Artists Association Summer Exhibition fast approaching, and the deadline to get entry forms in almost here, I was running out of time to produce some new work. If I had high expectations, they soon came crashing down. Nothing was working out, I felt rather uninspired and it showed. Frustration and disappointment set deep by Sunday evening. My long suffering husband had to put up with 'woe is me' and lots of sighing. "I don't know what my personal artwork is about..." and "It's all got a bit lightweight and flimsy" were some of the words muttered.

My mind must have been in overdrive while I slept, however. Monday morning I woke up, and a little mental pep talk whilst in the shower gave me whole different mindset for the day. Deep down I do know what I want my work to be about - contrasts of media, translucent versus opaque, detail versus abstract passages (for a start). I would try something different. I would experiment. Take the pressure off. I already have one pastel being framed so at least I have one work to enter. If nothing else I will at least have some fun!

Taking my theme of 'Artist in an Acre' I selected two photos as inspiration. I planned to create an abstract underpainting, then bring some semblance of order out of the chaos by working on the top but allowing passages of the initial layer to show too... These step by step photos demonstrate the stages one of the paintings went through. I started by laying the support on a waterproof sheet, on the floor, for the initial work - I planned on getting messy!

Diluted acrylic washes painted on to a canvas board - not pretty.
 
Thicker paint sponged on in selected areas.
Once dry, liquid acrylic ink is squirted and diluted on the surface,
drips encouraged.

Oooh, now things are getting interesting... dribbles of white diluted gesso.
The yellow acrylic ink wasn't as dry as I thought and mingles - I like it! 

Once the previous layer dried more acrylic ink is added...

Assessment time... 

Taking charge, now referring to reference photo more -
need to keep things loose though

Ah, now there is some context.

Keep the work loose. Spatter and droplets of brighter colour
for suggested leaves...
 
Tinted gesso for skyholes, needed some more 'pop' generally
 and more emphasis on sunlit grass. Out come the Conte crayons and
 finally 'Ta Dah' - finished!
Stream of Light, 35.5cms x 46cms, acrylic & Conte on canvas board.

I have also completed another artwork, a diluted acrylic underpainting on gessoed mountboard then worked up with soft pastel. Unusual for me, I did no blending of the pastel layers. So, when nothing is working... try something new. A different approach could work wonders. I am delighted with the results of the past two days, fingers crossed the selectors like my work!

Late Light, Spring 59cms x 54cms, acrylic & pastel on gessoed mountboard.
  

1 comment:

The internet is a great place to connect with like minded people - I would love to hear from you!